Synthetic Research & Development Chemist | Polymer bead products (inc. Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis – Polymer beads)
Salary | Circa £32,000/annum + benefits (dependent on experience)
Location | Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taf
Purolite is the 2nd largest ion exchange manufacturer globally and is the only company dedicated to resin technology. Purolite has been rapidly expanding into the Life Sciences market and focuses intensely on the research and development of new products at its R&D Centre of Excellence located in Llantrisant. The business has expanded into the area of polymer bead development and manufacture for “Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis” (SPPS) applications. Due to increased demand the business is now recruiting for a full time synthetic Research and Dvelopment Chemist to focus on this area of application.
DEPARMENT | R&D Laboratory
RESPONSIBLE TO | Research and Development Manager
The purpose of this job is to devise and formulate new polymer bead resin products. To develop, with the help of the Research and Development Manager, more efficient production procedures for scale up of resin products within the plant. Perform process investigations to improve existing process efficiency, and to develop new processes where necessary.
As indicated above, an essential part of this role will involve the preparation and optimization of SPPS polymer bead resins featuring the following functional groups: Merrifield (CM resin), Aminomethyl (AM resin), CTC, MBHA and Wang resins.
- Minimum degree in Chemistry. Preferably with some postgraduate research or qualifications (E.g. PhD in Synthetic Chemistry).
- An in-depth knowledge/experience of synthesis (organic/inorganic or polymer) including functional group transformation and associated analytical techniques (preferably related to SPPS polymer bead products).
- At least two years’ experience in a research and development or scientifically related field, preferably within an industrial setting.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently.
- Self-motivated, methodical, and organised with excellent attention to detail and reporting/communication skills.
- This is a synthetic chemistry role – experience of chemical manipulation and performing synthetic reactions.
- Experience of polymer bead preparation and activation techniques.
- Specific experience relating to SPPS polymer bead preparation and functional group transformation to generate Merrifield/Aminomethyl/CTC/MBHA/Wang type resins.
- Knowledge/understanding of polymer bead analytical techniques (such as particle size analysis, capacity measurements, porosity characterisation) and background knowledge of SPPS resins used in peptide synthesis applications.
- Experience of scaling up processes from laboratory to pilot and/or to full scale manufacturing plant.
- PhD in synthetic chemistry (organic/inorganic or ideally polymer chemistry).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To synthesise new products for Purolite.
- To synthesise new resin samples for evaluation by customers, with a view to generating trade for Purolite.
- Perform optimisation exercises to improve process efficiency and reduce costs.
- To introduce new processes when necessary onto the plant.
- To assist with the introduction of new analytical laboratory equipment.
- Liaise with the relevant University departments obtaining information.
- To help maintain the required level of Health and Safety within the lab including upkeep of H&S databases (e.g. COSHH, SDS, Risk Assessments).
- To undertake any other reasonable tasks as required by the Management of the company.
Contact: Dr Chris Bresner, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit www.purolite.com